Got Mold? 5 Easy Steps for Getting Rid of Mold
Not only is mold unsightly and embarrassing within your home, it is also a health risk that can lead to serious illness. Exposure to mold can trigger respiratory problems like wheezing and asthma attacks; it can cause allergic reactions like itchy eyes, throat or nose; it can cause sinus infections, and even lung and digestive tract infections.
Why take the chance and risk the health of you or your family when removing mold is an easy task that you can tackle yourself?
You’ll need some simple, household supplies:
- Mask (if you are particularly sickly)
- Spray bottles
- Bleach or a bathroom cleaner with bleach
- Paper towels
- The paint you used to paint the area the mold is covering
- Household cleaner with NO ammonia
This last step is critical as the combination of bleach and ammonia is incredibly toxic!
- Clean the area, including the mold stain, thoroughly with the household cleaner. Wipe the area and dispose of the paper towels carefully.
- Before applying any bleach, make sure windows in the room are open for air to circulate. Close off any other rooms in order to keep the bleach fumes from spreading throughout the house or apartment. Spray the mold stain with the bleach product. Let it stand for thirty minutes.
- After a half hour you should find that the mold stain has decreased in size considerably. Reapply bleach every half hour until the mold is gone.
- Now, there should be some discoloration where the mold stain used to be, but once the mold stain is gone, clean the area with the household cleaner and then rinse the area thoroughly with water.
- Allow the area to dry thoroughly and then repaint the area so that it matches the rest of the room.
Mold is caused by humidity and moisture. Therefore, it typically occurs in damp indoor spaces like bathrooms, attics, basements, etc. If mold is growing indoors it may be a sign of a bigger issue, i.e. a leaky roof or pipe. Extreme mold growth can also cause deterioration of drywall or wooden wall studs. If the mold growth was significant you may want to call a contractor to make sure there is no structural damage.